Friday 5 November 2010

My Yo!Sushi Logo.

The first thing that I set about designing, or re-designing, was the yo!sushi logo. After a lot of thought I decided that I wasn't going to keep the pink and orange corporate colours. This was simply because I felt they would clash too much with the design style I was going for.

Here is how I edited the colours in the logo...


With the the colours of the german flag being yellow,red and black I tried to apply that to the logo. To me this immediately gives it some corporate identity towards the country. When it came to incorporating the 'Berlin' part into the logo however, it wasn't such an easy decision.

I looked at the typefaces that are used in Germany, and managed to take some photo's while I as there of some in context. They use a very strong and clean san-serif font for all their road signs called Condensed Din, and they try to use this same style on a lot of their more modern signage.

Condensed Din


Here are two attempts at using bold, strong and clean san-serif typefaces with the logo...the second having a slight eastern european feel to it.


Another typeface that really stood out to me was the 'old-school' black letter style type. This has a very stereotypical, old fashioned German look to it, but I was surprised how much it was still used today. It is no longer used in newspapers, but can still be seen on a lot of signage and on many buildings, here are some examples...



I really love this traditional look, and think it would be brilliantly contrasting with the ultra-modern yo!sushi logo. This links together the old with the new, and could be something of a them that I carry on through my mural and restaurant designs, here is what I put together.


Although I am not sure about the way the positioning of the different elements look, this is definitely the style that I am going to run with and I can review that problem at a later date when I start to apply it to my designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment